Tuesday, April 2, 2013

First Day at Work

Today was the first day of work for Jill and I. Everything went well on my end.  I met a ton of people today, and everyone was very nice and welcoming. Jill was in Tokyo and I didn't get many details on her day of work, but she did say she had one of the best meals of her life for dinner.  It was a seafood extravaganza of crab, scallops, raw tuna and assortment of other delicious items...I had Campbell's chicken noodle soup and popcorn in our hotel room for dinner...Jill-1 Luke-0.

While Jill was travelling yesterday, I had a chance to do some more exploring (it was a Holiday here in Hong Kong).  I had some buildings in Mid Levels that I wanted to check-out, but there were also a few food spots that I heard about through The Layover - Hong Kong (Anthony Bourdain's show) that I wanted to try as well.  On my list were Joy Hing, a restaurant specializing in roasted meats located in Wan Chai, and Tim Ho Wan, a dim sum spot in Kowloon (supposedly one of the cheapest restaurants with a Michelin star).

So after google mapping everything I wanted to see try I headed to the Mid Levels.  The buildings we are interested in ended up being about a 20 min wak to the train station, and they're real close to the escalators.  In Mid Levels there are a series of escalators to help people get up and down the huge hill the neighborhood sits on.  If you're trying to get up the hill and they're not running that way, you are in for a sweaty workout.  Hopefully we'll actually be able to start looking at some places this Saturday.  We have a "settling in" day planned where we'll get our HK ID cards and open a bank account.  The same people that are helping us with that are going to help us find an apartment.

After the Mid Levels I headed to Wan Chai for the roasted meats. Turns out since it was a holiday it was closed...strike 1.  So I headed back to train station to go to Tim Ho Wan in Kowloon.  I got to where Google maps said the place was, but there was no Tim Ho Wan to be found.  There were restaurants around, but none of their names were in English, so I popped my head into a 7-11 and asked.  The lady very abruptly informed me that Tim Ho Wan is "gone".  I asked her where it went and she said "far away."  I could tell the lady was annoyed by this "gweilo" (Cantonese term for foreigners) bothering her so I didn't press the issue...so no dim sum for me.  Strike 2.

I am sure I will be able to find where the place moved to...if it is that good I can't imagine it shut down. 

Til Next Time
Luke & Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment