Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Brickhouse

So I know I write about food a lot...but I am going to do it again.  Before arriving I was convinced that I was not going to be able to get good Mexican food in Hong Kong, and I am happy to report that I was wrong.  I want to give big props to our new friend, Anne, for taking us to this place on Tuesday night because there is no way in a million years Jill and I would have found it. 

The name of the place is Brickhouse (I know...a bit of weird name for a Mexican food joint).  There is no sign.  It's located down a dark, creepy alley, and had Anne not been with us, Jill and I would not have gone down this alley.  Like, when Anne started taking us down this alley I felt like the cowardly lion meeting the Wizard of Oz for the first time.  I was half-expecting to start walking by some cock fights, or see something similar to the scene in The Deer Hunter where Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walken play Russian Roulette.  But luckily none of that happened.  We put our names in (it was an hour and a half wait - they don't take reservations), and went and grabbed a few drinks at a bar down the street

After finally getting seated, we just let Anne order for us. We got these drinks called Diablas which were delicious...it was some sort of raspberry cocktail with jalapeno in it.  Sounds weird, but it was awesome.  Then the food started coming.  We had street corn (roasted corn on the cob with melted cheese and seasonings) that was unbelievable, amazing queso fundido that you had to cut with scissors (seriously, they gave us a pair of scissors), 4 different kinds of delicious tacos (pork, fish, beef and chicken), and a shrimp and cucumber ceviche.  Smack yo' mama good.

I was shocked at how good this stuff was.  To this point, the only Mexican food we've had here was on par with the kind of "Mexican" food you get at Chili's.  But this food was legit....too legit to quit. And the place had a really fun atmosphere.  It was small, cramped, and loud (they played great music too, by the way), but you can just tell everyone is having a good time.  Needless to say, Jill and I have found our place when we need a Mexican food fix....I just hope we'll be able to find it again!

Til Next Time,
Luke & Jill




No comments:

Post a Comment